Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Broken Horse on Kicking Hill

Went to Owler Tor yesterday (or is it Over Owler Tor) for a bimble about and to try a couple of the easier lines that I haven't done yet. Upon arriving I was most surprised to find that I wasn't the only one there but instead had to share the crag with someone. Was nice seeing someone else up there - chatted for a while and gave a bit of beta for a couple of the problems with the usual caveat that I am crap and tend to make easy things hard. The crimp on Wafery Flake felt pretty bad but even had conditions been better I think I would have struggled - I have noticed lately that I am not getting any power through my legs and this is one of those problems that require it as well as the ability to pull on a poor crimp. Throw in a recurrence of a slight shoulder problem that I have had for the last month as an additional excuse and it really wasn't going down.

Having failed so miserably it would have been prudent to just bugger off home and sack off the day but instead I decided to bail to Apparent North to try and another one of my projects - the Lower Cube Traverse. Looking back it was a pretty dumb idea - here I am nursing a tweaky shoulder and trying a problem that is pretty shoulder intensive. Had a couple of goes - realised that it was not doing me any favours whatsoever and then decided to do a few old faves and then sacked it off.

Felt pretty dispirited about it all when I left - I didn't climb badly but then I wouldn't go as far as saying I climbed well either - I just felt that I hadn't achieved what I wanted to. Still the one good thing to come out of it is that I am off to see John to get the problem looked at tonight - it has been coming and going for the best part of a month now and it is time to get it resolved.

No comments: