Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Two steps forward, one step back.

As ever the path of pROJECT mAYHEM never runs smooth - after finding myself woefully short of speaker cable I decided to get the insulation finished and proceeded to stick the roof insulation into the roof space. It was only when I had completed this and tried to put the roof panels back on that it became apparent that it was not going to be a success - the insulation just wanted to take up too much space and the end result was a roof lining that looked like a fat bird in Lycra. Roof lining out, insulation out and a trip to the local D.I.Y. centre to buy some silver backed roof insulation and a short while later the roof was done and looking tidy.

Next up was the speaker cable runs - the original intention was to mount the high and low mid range in the rear doors - something that seemed eminently feasible from my investigations into one of the rear doors. What I hadn't taken into account was the largest piece of metal since the invention of Christendom in the other door which forms the locking\dead bolt system - it is HUGE to the point where it fills about 75% of the lower half of the door!! Obviously no chance of getting a speaker in there let alone two so now I have to make up some speaker housings to fit these but if done right the end result should be a better solution. Also I won't have to run the speaker cables in through the doors now which saves me a few metres of cable and a fair degree of trauma so I can live with the set back.

Other than that I have got the two panels for the rear doors ready to carpet now (holes drilled and in the correct places first time) and hopefully tomorrow the rest of the panelling will get done ready to be put into place once the cable runs are finalised and the under carpet gets put into place.

It all sounds so simple...

No comments: