Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Making progress

All of the panels have now been carpeted and so tomorrows job (and likely Friday as well) is to apply the under-carpet to the passenger side and side door and then fit them. The rear doors will have to wait to get the under-carpet applied as I don't have enough to do those at the minute but it will hopefully be a reasonably straight forward job compared to the sides. Really impressed with the carpet that I got from MegaVanMats I must say - the stuff will stretch for miles - just apply heat with a hair dryer and and it is possible to do the sides and cover the wheel arch without cutting a thing. The result I got on the drivers side (once I got how to do the job figured out) was pretty good even by my exacting standards and would have been even better if I didn't have the floor base in place. I had removed the floor itself but had left the grid in place so couldn't get to the bottom as nicely as I wanted but I will just console myself with the fact that nobody will see the couple of wrinkles that are there once I put the floor back.

It is amazing just how much difference the insulation and the under carpet make to road noise as well. Driving to Nottingham last weekend to see my brothers new baby the difference in noise levels from the carpeted side to the non-carpeted side was massive and the effect will only be increased with the carpeted panels going over the top of that.

To paraphrase the Alien tagline "In the van no one will hear you scream!"

No comments: