Friday, October 8, 2010

Operation Butters Home Made Chilli Powder is go!

I have blogged about my life's culinary mission, to cook the perfect Chilli con Carne, before here and mentioned Operation Butters Home Made Chilli Powder here. With regard to OBHMCP ordering lots of different chillies from the Cool Chile Company was as far I had got - they were left sat in a box till motivation caught up with my ambition which it finally did today. The long wait is over - Operation Butters Home Made Chilli Powder became a reality at long last.

The onset of the mission coincided with the arrival of not one, not two, but three Stevie Wonder albums that I had got off the Bay of Fleas for next to nothing and so Innervisions was thrown on and off we went. Using this recipe as the basis, adapting it with a bit of input from this recipe for chilli powder I found ages ago and throwing in a bit of my own taste (or lack thereof) the oven was fired up and the chillies set to toast.


Above are a mix of Ancho's, New Mexico, de Arbol and Smoked Chipotle chillies with a stick of Cinnamon thrown in for good measure. Simple enough - put in an oven and toast till they are dry and slightly crispy as apparently good dried chillies should still have slight moisture in them. Every day is a school day it would seem.

While that was being done it was time to toast some Cumin seeds in the wok - it has to be said that the Wok in the picture is one awesome piece of kit. I bought it years ago from one of the Chinese shops on London Road for the princely sum of £8 if I remember correctly and it has been a faithful servant ever since, standing up to whatever random cooking abuse I subject it to on a regular basis without complaint.

Enough about the wok though - time for another Stevie Wonder CD, Hotter than July this time which is somewhat appropriate now that I think about it.

Once the cumin seeds, cinnamon and chillies had been toasted it was time to throw them all into the blender, add some Hot Smoked Paprika, Garlic Powder and Mexican Oregano and blitz till it was reduced to a powder with the final result looking like this.

It smells awesome so tomorrow I am off to buy some decent mince and cook up a Chilli con Carne with it - slightly worried that I have no idea what ratio to use it in so I am going to take a stab in the dark and go for 1 tbsp of Butter's Chilli Powder per pound of meat. Assuming that I survive the experience hopefully I will be one step closer to achieving my life's ambition...

1 comment:

Fiend said...

Post some up here youth!