Friday, May 14, 2010

The Walnut

Broken Beagle could be described as the man who is angling for the lead role in The Mummy does Grit if the amount of tape he wraps round his digits is anything to go by at the minute. Should you have some spare cash laying about at the minute I recommend investing in stocks of the company who makes Strappel tape as they are going to turn in a big profit this year!

Anyway that's by the by - met up with the aforementioned Broken Beagle yesterday with the intention of bouldering at Burbage but that idea was shot down by rain on the way out so it was off to Curbar to seek drier conditions. Once we got there we were greeted by clear skies and a decent breeze and the plan became The Walnut - F6c of overhanging low level traversing fun on big holds. Both of us had been on it before briefly last year and I thought that Broken Beagle was going to make short work of it as he lanked his way along only to get hideously pumped and dropping it toward the end - something that was to happen repeatedly throughout the afternoon. I wasn't making such serene progress and spent most of the session trying to work the sequence out for my feet on the initial part which was just bloody frustrating at times given my complete inability to recall what I did on the last try. I would get something working and then have to try and recall what I had just done. By the end of the session I had something that I was happy with but it seemed a lot of work of what probably amounts to four feet of progress on a 20+ foot boulder problem. Still it is a good problem and one that can be worked in sections easily enough so next visit will be to remember the sequence for the first part, get something working on the next part and try and link the two together. Finished off the session with a pint at the Millstone and then home - not a bad way to finish the day.

No comments: