Sunday, October 11, 2009

A new truimph of over engineering

As briefly mentioned in the last post I was considering getting the storage\bed started and as you can see from the pics below I have got that stage under way in the last few days.





All going pretty well actually as I seem to be getting better at cutting wood in general though anything that requires an angle that is not 90 degrees tends to go a bit Pete Tong at times. One slight problem is that one of the main stays on the bottom is warped (which I knew at the time and tried to work round) but is causing slight concern at the minute as the next stage is probably going to be to fit the internal panels to separate the storage space. While I know that the frame has enough flex in it to compensate for the warp now it might not once I add more structure to it so I have got to figure out a way around that before I can progress any further. Other than that the usual curse of needing three other things in place before a job can be completed is starting to raise its ugly head on this part of the project now. I want to shape the back of the storage so that it follows the line of the panels but until the panels are carpeted and fitted I don't know what shape the back is going to take which has the knock on effect of being unable to fix it to the floor. Aargh!!

Even with all of these "problems" to work around I am getting close to having the wood stuff done and dusted I think. The internal panels have been roughly cut out now though there will have to be something removed from the edges before I can fit them in place to allow for how much space will be taken up once the ribs have been carpeted. Even better than that I am pretty sure I have figured out a way of fitting them that doesn't involve drilling holes in the internal braces where there are already VW fixtures in place. It has always been a bit of an aim of mine to drill as few holes as possible in the van and while I will have to drill some holes for the upper sections of the barn doors and the top panel of the side (unless I have another great idea) the main panels themselves won't require them. As with any of my solutions it probably involves a lot more work than banging in a series of self tapping screws but my Heath Robinson approach to engineering has served me well so far so why change?

No comments: