Tuesday, May 19, 2009

pROJECT mAYHEM

At the end of my last blog with regard to the boarding out of the van I wrote:

"You never know I might even have half a clue what I am doing come the end of the project!!"

These proved to be prophetic words - after what was at times the hardest four days of my life I finally have the floor down....

For now I will just post some pics and random comments up but I will go into a bit more detail on what has already been a fucking huge learning curve later.

Start off with an empty van like this:

Add in a frame so that the insulation has somewhere to sit.


I had already made up my mind to avoid drilling into the floor pan as it was going to be a right royal pain in the arse crawling under the van to seal all the screw holes that would result if I did. Instead I devised a cunning plan to tie the frame into the haulage loops (or whatever the proper name for them is). To be honest this really worked out well - short of a nuclear explosion there is no way that the frame will ever move.

Cut out insulated board and fit between the frame - this was by far the easiest part of the whole job.


Get the first board fitted - this was on the third day!! That's correct - two days to create and fit the frame and put in the insulation though to be fair I was somewhat hungover on the second day... Finally after four days and a lot of cursing and the like finish off boarding out the floor.


I should point out that somewhere between my last blog and the start of the boarding out process I had decided that this project was going to be called "Project Mayhem". There was no real reason for this other than I liked the name (and besides it pays homage to the truly excellent Fight Club). Still I suppose that if you are going to call it something like that then you really can't complain too much when it all goes a bit tonto... 8-)

1 comment:

Fiend said...

Bon effort dude. Does it have ventilation to avoid damp??