Monday, November 22, 2010

All change

Not done much for a couple of weeks now following my so close but, yet again, so far away session on The Armoured Car Traverse. If it's not work getting in the way, it is social stuff or the weather putting the brake on stuff - last week we had damp, dreary conditions and they are much the same this time around albeit a bit more frozen.

Anyway it was supposed to have been the rearranged Boys Bouldering Trip this weekend but the white stuff put paid to any thoughts of heading north for my maiden trip to The County so the new plan was to go to Burbage to meet up with the boys instead. It was a pleasant enough day there - Baltic conditions reigned and a lot of stuff was either wet or covered in snow but the odd problem remained in OK nick which was more than could be said for me. I think hungover would be the word I am looking for. After watching various automotive punters making a complete mess of trying to get up the hill past Burbage Bridge we met up at Banana Finger. I have known about this problem for years but Saturday was was the first time I had ever looked at the problem let alone pulled on. Having got the greetings out of the way I squeaked the boots and after a couple of abortive attempts to size up the hangover versus physical effort problems found I could make the reach over to the first break with the pebble easily enough but was really struggling to get my feet in a position to match it. A few more goes came and went and then the SYKE was gone - it was just too cold, I was too hungover and just plain weak and so I have another project at Burbage to contend with.

Wandered about for a while and did a bit of spotting and the like and decided to risk a wander down to the Armoured Car on the off chance that it was good to go - of course it wasn't but we cleaned the holds off and Dear Boy had a couple of attempts at it but the remaining snow was just melting as soon as you touched it.

By this point it had got to late afternoon so we decided that we had done enough for the day and went to the pub to try and subjugate our collective hangovers. Can't speak for anyone else but it failed miserably on my account...

No comments: