Sunday, November 2, 2008

That was the week that was...

For a few days last week it was time to get really rad and syked - the leaves were falling from the trees, the sun was shining and the temperature dropped into single figures. Finally that magic time of the year has come around again - dig out the duvet jacket, the beanie, a whole host of brushes and the bouldering mat, round up a mate or two to offer beta, encouragement and piss taking in equal amounts and get ready to climb Gods own rock! It's gritstone bouldering season again!

Tuesday was spent at Stanage Plantation on the Pebble and a few new problems got sent including Pebble Arete Left Hand which went down with a fight to say the least. In all honesty I was just glad to get it sent regardless of the style having blown the top move earlier in the day and taking a big plunge onto the mat complete with a girlie scream that had people running from all directions to see what had happened. A big up to POD and his excellent mat design for letting me walk away from that one.

A couple of other new problems (to me) got done - one in good style and one where I got up it and hoped that no one had noticed me on it such was the lack of grace I applied to it - ah well another one to do another day and try to improve on the style.

Lastly an old nemesis in the form of Pebble Arete came that little bit closer to being sent - without doubt it was the best session I have ever had on it but those last tenuous moves are absolutely gripping and were just too much of an ask to commit to on the day. One day soon it will go down and it will be a big day when it does though getting it in the bag means that I will have to start paying serious attention to Crescent Arete instead - eek!

Wednesday was a new crag to me - Brimham Rocks and what an amazing place! Conditions were even more awesome than those experienced at Stanage the day before not that they could prevent much skin being lost on the holds of Murky Rib (not Mercury Rib as previously stated). Even the application of much tape couldn't get me up it but I will be back and next time it will be read the riot act in full! The best thing was that we hardly scratched the surface of what is there so even without the requirement of sending Mercury Rib the motivation to go back is high.

Thursday was a washout but Friday was a welcome return to form on the weather front and so it was off to one of my favourite places to boulder - Curbar. It was one of those sessions where you expected little but got a lot - everything felt tweaky or just plain ached but as soon as I was on the rock then the feelings of being trashed just ebbed away. Problems that usually put up a fight felt easy and I finally got the much needed (and in retrospect obvious) beta on Strawberries. I probably should have tried it there and then but the skin was thin and it will be there for the next time when I am feeling fresher and hopefully a quick dispatch will ensue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Murky Rib, dude.

Good effort in the bouldering. The keenness is impressive and the strength is there...