Thursday, July 17, 2008

Parisellas

Parisellas - permanently dry even in the face of the worst that the Welsh climate can throw at it is, in a nut shell, a bloody steep limestone cave with a floor that is a combination of dust, chalk and goat shit!! Now the floor alone should make it a desperately unattractive place to spend a day in Wales regardless of the weather but it is actually rather good featuring some quality problems and even two or three that I have a remote chance of completing within my lifetime. I will certainly be going back there if only to get Split Traverse in the bag. I flashed the opening 3/4's of the problem and then got to the hard bit - the drop down onto the big square block and move around the arĂȘte at which point progress ground to a very sudden and rude halt. Eventually I managed to work the move in isolation but subsequently fell off the final moves when my foot slipped off a polished hold on my penultimate attempt attempt to link it and just didn't have the power in the tank to make it on the last go...

What would Jerry have done in such a situation - probably not go to the pub like me but I needed a pint. I must say that it was a bloody good pint but it would have been a truly rad and syked pint had I linked the problem beforehand!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

parisella's cave is a blessing, and it should be considered like that by every boulderer who wants to honour his climbing. i've been there just once, after 40 hours of trains, ferry, and buses and just three hours of sleep.
i didn't manage almost anything. regardless, it's been one of the most memorable climbing days of my life. i can't wait to get back.
Nibile